Saturday, October 02, 2004

Easy Saturday

Finally taking a weekend to myself this time.... I`ve been doing nothing but stuff like sleeping in, riding my bike to the grocery and the really cheap veggie stand (I got kabocha, edamame and a nice size jade plant for just 400Yen, or less than $4!) . I may go to the Pokemon movie they are supposed to show here at the office. It`s getting all dark and cold and rainy looking outside, not making it look good for my planned site seeing journey to find the cave of buddhas.

Last weekend was craziness squared. I had a blast in Tokyo. I went with 5 other people on the night bus (not so comfy) and then we walked around Tokyo from about 4:30 in the morning when we arrived until well after the sun came up when the trains started running again. The greatest surprise was coming upon a coke machine that sold Dr. Pepper, so we had to have a round. We traveled everywhere (except Roppongi....never had time) and at least my comrades became experts at the subway....my poor brain works slightly slower so I just ended up following them around. But, we went to Tokyo Disney one day and I rode space mountain twice. Okay, it`s really all the same attractions as Disney back home, only with more Japanese people.

School is going well. I started an English board with pumpkins and fall stuff and shiny metallic letters at the Jr. High. I figured its time to start connecting with the students and making a difference in the ways I know how. One thing I know about is art and making stuff, so I figured I should go with that. Some students are sooo shy, and some boys just make a big joke out of it trying some "hey" or something they heard in a movie. But ya` know what, its not just because they are kids, its because everyone else is like that too. I had a man who I had seen and sorta met twice before back away from me, when I stepped toward him after saying hello hoping to have a quick conversation in the grocery store. I swear he shrunk away like I was either going to attack him or kiss him, and I can`t say I had intentions of either. It kind of pissed me off. But whatever. Some younger men saw me today at the veggie stand and said hey. Some older ladies will nod back to me or smile, and others will try their best to ignore me when they see me going by. Its a strange thing being me. But I have to say I`ve never thought of myself as something to be scared of, but I think sometimes its the language barrier and being afraid of not understanding that makes people shy away. I hope I don`t let myself do the same ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home